Welcome to my blog, quickest way to find articles is usually to search for them.
MMS 2012 - Using MDT 2012 Remote Monitoring with SCCM 2007 and SCCM 2012
As you probably know there are new remote monitoring capabilities in MDT 2012. Here is a guide on how to use the same feature with ConfigMgr 2007/2012. This solution was presented at MMS 2012 in Las Vegas.
Download sample files
The monitoring in MDT 2012 is based on a web service and compact sql database to store info about the running deployments. The monitoring also have a connection to DaRT from MDOP, which allows you to connect to the machine remotely. Even when the machine is running in WinPE. By "borrowing" some of the MDT 2012 code, you can use the same feature with SCCM 2007/2012.
ConfigMgr 2007 or ConfigMgr 2012 integrated with MDT 2012.
The MDT 2012 Deployment Workbench showing a SCCM client being deployed.
The entry after opening it, note the DaRT Remote Control button
Remoting into the SCCM client from the server, while the client is still in WinPE.
Adding MDT 2012 Remote Monitoring to your SCCM deployments is done in three high-level steps.
- Enable Monitoring on your SCCM server
- Extract the DaRT files needed for monitoring
- Configure the boot image for SCCM 2007/2012
Note: Since you only need a x86 boot image in SCCM 2007/2012 for both x86 and x64 deployments, I only provide steps for that platform.
Step 1 - Enable Monitoring on the SCCM server
- On the SCCM server, integrated with MDT 2012, create a Deployment Share.
- Right-click the Deployment Share, and select Properties
- In the Monitoring tab, select the Enable monitoring for this deployment share check box, and click OK
Step 2 - Extract the DaRT files needed for monitoring
- Download the sample files (link) and extract them to C:\ using WinRAR. You will now have the following folder structure on C:\
- Download MDOP 2011 R2 from Microsoft.
- Perform an administrative install of the x86 version of Dart 7 by running msiexec /a MSDaRT70.msi (This allows you to install x86 DaRT even when running on a x64 machine).
- Using WinRAR, extract the C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft DaRT 7\v7\tools.cab to C:\Tmp.
- Copy the following folders from the C:\tmp\mount folder to C:\Monitoring.
- You will now have a folder structure that looks like this
Step 3 - Configure the MDT integrated boot image for SCCM 2007/2012
- Edit the C:\Monitoring\Deploy\Scripts\CustomSettings.ini file, and change the server name to match the name of your SCCM server.
- From the MDT 2012 Files Packages in SCCM 2007/2012, copy the following files to C:\Monitoring\Deploy\Scripts
- From the MDT 2012 Files Packages in SCCM 2007/2012, copy the Microsoft.BDD.Utility.dll file to C:\Monitoring\Deploy\Scripts\X86
- From the MDT 2012 installation folder, copy the DartConfig.dat file to C:\Monitoring\Windows\System32.
- Use ImageX or DISM to mount your MDT 2012 integrated boot image for SCCM 2007/2012, in this example I mounted the boot image to C:\Mount.
\WinPE.wim 1 C:\mount
- Copy the content of C:\Monitoring to C:\Mount, select to merge content.
- Close all Explorer windows, and commit the changes to your mounted boot image.
ImageX /unmount /commit C:\Mount
- Update the distribution point(s) on your SCCM 2007/2012 Server.
Meet the expert!
ConfigMgr / MDT trainings 2016/2017
Oct 24, 2016, Fort Lauderdale
Nov 28, 2016, Oslo, Norway
Dec 5, 2016, Stockholm, Sweden
Dec 12, 2016, Phoenix
Feb 7, 2017, Culemborg, Netherlands
Feb 13, 2017, Fort Lauderdale
Apr 3, 2017, Minneapolis,
Apr 17, 2017, New York
My Other Work